Skip to main content

151. How much bigger?

Today the Lord wrecked me. Absolutely wrecked me in His love and His glory. As I was sitting on the couch with Nash, he looked over at me and said “Help, me stuck!” I took a closer look and saw that his little legs were tangled in the blanket and indeed he was “stuck”. He had gotten himself into that little mess but I was more than happy to help him out of it. After I had untangled him he opened his arms and said “mommy, please, me hug!” I embraced that little guy and as I did, his arms flung around my neck and he squeezed me so tight. He said “I love you” and I did everything I could to hold back tears. I love him so much. I love my daughter so much. How much more does the Lord love us?!

The Lord put on my heart the first time Nash was able to say “I love you” and the amazing way that made me feel. He put on my heart how amazing it feels when your children want hugs from you. When they wrap their arms around you and squeeze. The joy you feel when you hear them giggle and the pain you feel when they get hurt. Then I heard the Lord whisper “How much bigger, Ash?” 

It hit me, like a ton of bricks fell on my chest. How much bigger is His love for us? How much quicker is He willing to help us get unstuck? How happy does it make Him the first time someone says “I love you, Lord”?! If we can barely contain our love and emotions as parents, How much bigger is His love and are His emotions for us. We feel love, He IS love. We accept mercy, He is Mercy. We worship and bask in His Holy Spirit presence, He IS the Holy Spirit presence!!  

He is quick to help us when we say we are stuck, but He can’t help us until we acknowledge that we are stuck. He is always ready to embrace us, but we have to want to be embraced. He can see the messes that we are in, but until we ask for help, and admit we need it, He will let us do it on our own. He won’t force himself on us, but man oh man, will he rejoice with us when we cry out to Him. When we raise our hands in surrender and reach for Him, He will meet us. How much joy and love does the Lord feel the first time a sinner comes to repentance?! No wonder there is rejoicing in the heavens with every saved soul. 

Can you even imagine?!! No matter what you’ve done, no matter where you’ve been, no matter what mistakes you’ve made, you have the creator of life itself loving you with all Hes got. Every minute of every hour, of every day, forever, no matter what! I’ve said that to my children often when I describe my love for them, but I urge you to sit and think. How much bigger?! How much greater?! It’s for YOU! He died for YOU. He has great plans for YOU! Embrace them. Walk in them and glorify the Lord in every step. 

Luke 15

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”

3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

The Parable of the Lost Coin

8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

The Parable of the Prodigal Son

11 And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.

17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’22 But the father said to his servants,’Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.

25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

240. Back together again

  You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all.  The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could. In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still. In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and p...

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...