Skip to main content

144. One Hour

My heart is heavy tonight. We took communion at church and Pastor Harry spoke a really good message regarding the significance of Thursday night. We all know Good Friday and Easter Sunday, but Thursday, how often do we really think about it? As we were praying it hit me hard. “Could you not watch with me one hour?” 

These disciples spent time with the Lord. They saw the miracles, signs, wonders, healing left and right, the provision. They. Saw. So. Much. Yet they scattered that Thursday night. 

Jesus was praying, can you imagine that feeling of knowing the pain you would endure and laying down your life. “Could you not watch with me one hour?” 

Imagine that feeling, feeling that your friends have your back. They say they will follow you, and they couldn’t pray with you and watch for one hour. An hour where you’re praying hard, asking for this cup to pass. Yet His friends, disciples, the closest to Him, couldn’t pray with Him or on His behalf for one hour. 

Now think of your life. The life that the Lord died for. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever prayed for one hour? In all honesty, have YOU ever prayed for ONE HOUR straight? We are flawed, we need our savior, but we also have the willpower to put Him first in our lives. We choose to shove the Lord into a 20 min time slot on Sundays, say a 5 minute prayer before bed, and we wonder why we struggle. Why the Lord feels so far away? Why we don’t hear from the Lord? “Could you not watch with me one hour?” It’s a question to ask yourself. Can you give Him an hour? He’s given His life. It’s time we start acting like we are worth dying for. 

I encourage you to pray for one hour straight, as often as you can. That’s where relationship is formed. That’s where true healing takes place. That’s where He speaks. He’s worth it. Act like it. 

The disciples didn’t have the Holy Spirit, we do. We have all the help we need to defeat the temptation of the flesh. We just have to make the decision to go against the flesh and follow the Holy Spirit. We can be there for one hour, if we choose to be. 

Your friends won’t always be there, your family won’t either. Everything you think you’ll have for life, will be gone, one day, in a blink of an eye. If the Lords friends couldn’t stand with Him, what makes You think yours will stand with you? 

At one point, soon, we will all come to the realization that we are in this alone. It’s up to us to have our own relationship with the Lord. It’s up to us to watch with Him every hour of every day until His return. 

Matthew 26:36-45

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane

36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” 40 And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 42 Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” 43 And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Rise, let us be going; see, my betrayer is at hand.”

Comments

  1. 1 John 2:15-17
    King James Version
    15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

    16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

    17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

240. Back together again

  You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all.  The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could. In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still. In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and p...

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...