Skip to main content

240. Back together again

 


You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all. 


The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could.


In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still.


In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and paints set up. I was painting a forest with the light coming through the trees. I had music on but it was playing so low I could barely hear it.


In the forth room, I was sitting on the floor, half colored papers scattered all over the place. I had fat crayons, skinny crayons, finger paints, markers, you name it. It was a giant mess of half colored rainbows, lakes, oceans, animals, hills, valleys, sunsets and crosses. I had loud worship playing through the room. 


In the last room I sat alone facing a window. No paper. No pencils. No coloring. No paint. Just me. It was quiet except for the worship stemming from my heart.


As the Lord walked me to the end of the hallway I felt a shift. As we turned around I saw Satan standing where we began. 


As the enemy passed that first room and simply waived his hand, the door slammed shut. Black paint by the gallon was slung all over those colorful walls. I saw that 5 year old hunkered down in the corner, knees to her chest clutching her legs in fear, tears streaming down her eyes, frozen in the quiet. I heard her screaming the name of Jesus inside her head as loud as she could.


As he passed the second room, the white paper was crinkled up as if clutched by a fist coated in jet black ink. The once neat pencils strewn off the desk and scattered to the floor. I saw her quietly grab a knife and cut her thigh to ease the pain as she swallowed another pill to numb her mind, crying out on the inside for Jesus but realizing that no one else could hear her and going to her tarot cards instead.


As he passed the third room the canvas was knocked off the table. The paint was spilled and dripped down onto the floor. There was an indifference in her as she downed a bottle of wine, took a drag, and prayed asking Jesus if he was really real, what to do.


As he passed the fourth room the half painted pictures were finished in blacks and grays and stacked against the wall. Anything she could color with had disappeared. She held her children tightly and hummed worship as she prayed over them, waiting for morning to come.


As he passed the last room. She stood up. She turned from the window straight to the enemy, looked him dead in the eyes, and said the name of Jesus with everything cultivated within her. The enemy gestured to a shelf that appeared in the room. On that shelf was everything her flesh coveted for comfort. Alcohol, drugs, food, money, knives for cutting, friendships, a marriage, a house, a car, children, a ministry to glorify the Lord, family vacations, all of it. It was all there. I saw the questions, chaos and confusion running through her mind. 


Jesus turned to me and gave me that look. The look that you only know if you know. He grabbed my hand and we walked straight into that room. With the hand of the Lord, He took my hand and one by one we threw every one of these things off that shelf and shattered them on the floor or against the wall like a break room of epic proportions.


Right in front of the face of Satan himself. 


As the last item from the shelf shattered the enemy left. He had no choice. The atmosphere lifted completely. The Lord and I walked down the hallway, and all those versions of me walked down that hallway with Him. 


He's always been there, I can promise you that. No matter how far you've ran, no matter how fractured you are. The Lord can and will put all of your pieces back together, when you really, really let Him.


Jeremiah 17:14

14 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed;

    save me, and I shall be saved,

    for you are my praise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...