Skip to main content

92. What's your golden speck?


I took a walk with Nash man and Mad Max the other day. It was a beautiful evening, the sun was shining, and we were enjoying our little stroll around the town. As we were walking, I glanced down at him sitting there in his stroller and noticed his back. I noticed something odd up toward his collar that I had never noticed before. The material of his shirt was mostly gold with a few navy blue stripes. Where his shirt met his collar in the back, there was a blue stripe. Yet on the left side, the material must have been a little off and there is a tiny spot of gold all by its lonesome right up there by his collar.  This little dot, that I had never noticed before, started to drive me crazy. It wasn't perfection, it was bugging me. Over the next 5 minutes of our walk I must have looked at that golden speck a hundred times. It was all I could focus on and it was beginning to steal my joy. I spent a block or more focused on that speck, ignoring the giggles, the smiles, and the panting of Mr. Max. Yet, prior to me noticing it, Nash had worn this shirt a hundred times and it had never once crossed my mind. I never noticed it. As I continued walking the Lord put it on my heart that so many times we focus on that tiny speck of imperfection and let it ruin our opinion of the whole.

Does that speck change the fact that this shirt keeps my son warm? No. Does this speck change the fact that this shirt is perfectly fine at doing it's job? No. Does that speck mean that this shirt is of any less use than any other shirt in his closet? No. Yet, when I wash it and hang it up in his closet, I will think of the speck. When I go to get him dressed from now on, I will think of that speck and maybe pass on a perfectly fine shirt because of one tiny imperfection.

What is your speck? What are you focusing on that shouldn't even be noticed? What do you notice that shouldn't even matter? Is it that your car isn't the newest model, that your house isn't in the best neighborhood? Is it that your job doesn't pay as much as your neighbor? Is it your lawn, your clothes, your shoes, your children's clothes? Is it your past? Are you letting your past history and mistakes be the golden speck you focus on that keeps you from enjoying your journey? Is it the news? Are you so focused on the events that are happening outside that you are forgetting to focus on what matters to you on the inside? Is it what someone has said to you or about you? Have you ever been happy and excited about something and then someone said something to you that made you focus on the one negative thing that changes your perspective on a positive situation that had you beaming with joy moments earlier? Don’t focus on the tiny imperfections. The Lord overlooks your imperfections every day. Share that love.

Don't lose your focus and don't let focusing on the wrong thing blur your vision for your future. The specks don't matter in the grander scheme of things. I promise.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Colossians 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

240. Back together again

  You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all.  The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could. In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still. In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and p...

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...