Skip to main content

71. The Splinters 02.17.20

I’ve seen this picture floating around and different text has been shared with it. I have something on my heart to add. Many of us know the history of the crucifixion. Many of us know that Jesus was 33. Jesus was to be nailed to the cross by His hands & feet. We know that each nail was 6-8 inches long and that they were driven into His wrists tearing and breaking the tendon which forced Jesus to use his back muscles to support himself. We know that both feet were nailed together forcing Him to support Himself on the single nail that impaled His feet to the cross. Jesus could not support Himself with His legs because of the pain, so He was forced to alternate between arching His back then using His legs just to continue to breathe. Imagine the struggle, the pain, the suffering, the courage.
In reality we can’t imagine this level of pain. We are in awe of the savior because of the selfless sacrificial lamb that He was for US. For all humanity. Yet his words were “Forgive them for they know not what they do.”
I’m not asking you to imagine a pain of a crucifixion that’s indescribable but let’s think of it from this perspective. Have you ever had a splinter? Have you ever had one that you couldn’t get out? One you had to dig for and get tweezers for, or perhaps use a small knife to help you get it all out? Do you remember the pain that one tiny splinter caused you?
I would imagine that there wasn’t a Lowe’s or Home Depot around that sold treated wood. I can imagine that the wood that the cross was made of was not smooth like the 2x4’s you see today. I’m guessing that this wood that the cross was made of was rough, was splintered. I imagine that the skin on the back of His arms and legs, that the skin covering His entire back was affected by the splinters from this wood. Every movement to balance himself would leave different areas of his skin scraping the splintered wood constantly.
I know that we can’t understand the unimaginable pain of crucifixion. Can we try then to understand the pain that one splinter causes us, and magnifying that to the extent of having it affect our entire body? We cry with one splinter. Now we live from one cross.
That pain was endured for you. You’re worth it. It was endured not so you can read a bible and sing a few hymns on a Sunday morning. It was endured so you could have an intimate relationship with the Lord. A relationship where it’s not this far away God of the heavens that you pray to hoping he will grant your wishes like a genie. It’s for a God that you can connect with on a daily basis through the gift of the Holy Spirit. It’s not for religion, it’s for relationship.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

240. Back together again

  You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all.  The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could. In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still. In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and p...

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...