Skip to main content

63. Wise or Foolish Builder 02.03.20

I was laying on the couch with Nash earlier today and a wave of emotions hit me. The next thing I know I’m seeing thousands of people lined up along the shore of a beach. They were all looking out over the vast ocean. I noticed that many were standing on the sand, but there were about a third of them (maybe less) that had carried cinder blocks to the shore. They each carried one heavy cinder block for miles to get to the shore and set it down on the beach. Then they all stood upon the small surface of their blocks. Those standing on the sand looked confused and began questioning those standing firmly on the blocks. Why would you carry that heavy block for so long of a distance only to end up out here with us? Why would you want to try so hard to balance on that small cinder block when the entire beach is right here? Don’t your legs hurt trying to keep yourself balanced on such a small surface? Why would you want to do this? Why not be like the rest of us standing on the beach in the sand? Why would you walk so far barefoot carrying that weight, wearing on your back and the skin of your toes? Those standing on the blocks didn’t feel a need to defend their decision. They stood firm, with peace, looking to the sky.
Then, out of no where, a giant tsunami like wave hit the shore. As the waves crashed, I heard the screams of those who were standing on the sand being washed away. They didn’t understand what had happened or why there was such a swift ferocity in that single wave. They were swept away. Time was up. As the wave subsided, those balanced on their cinder blocks were safe. They were completely dry as if the water had never even touched them. They were still quiet but with a loving certainty that everything was fine. They were loved and saved, marked as “mine” by their Lord.
I truly believe that this is a vision similar to the parable in the Bible regarding the wise and foolish builders. Those who carried the heavy block (their cross to bare) were found safe and untouched by the waves. Everyone who relied on this world and the things in it (standing on the sand) were swept away in a swift and ferocious end. Those who took the mockery for being different, those who balanced on that small block, living righteously, turning from sins of this world and following the Lord were found safe under his care. Those who believed in Jesus stood firmly on blocks safe and sound.
Matthew 7:24-27 New International Version (NIV)
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

240. Back together again

  You know, it's hard when you're growing and walking things out in this life. We look at the world and we point out what's wrong, or what needs changed but we don't realize that the change within us is the most important change needed of all.  The Lord took me to a hallway today. The rooms were all white. In the first room I saw myself about 5 years old. I had crayons and paint and I was dancing to music, painting and coloring these beautiful pictures on the walls. I was praising the Lord and singing as loud as I could. In the second room I was a teenager. I was sitting at a desk. I had colored pencils lined up distinctly in a row, sorted by color. I was coloring on a piece of white paper making a neat picture of a hillside. On top of the hill sat a small white church with a view of the sunset. I had head phones on, jamming out the inside while my composure was quiet and still. In the third room I was in my 20's. I was seated at a dining table. I had a canvas and p...

259. The milestones and the mundane

I caught some milestones on my odometer yesterday. I’ve always liked numbers and when they align just right it gives me a little hint of joy. As I was driving the Lord spoke to me about the milestones and the mundane. In the life of Jesus we often think of the milestones. The water to wine, the loaves and the fishes, Lazarus called out of the tomb, walking on water, the sermon on the mount, to name a few. From His birth to His crucifixion there were undeniable times where Jesus made a mark with the work of His hands, the path He walked and the words He spoke. But what about the random Tuesday when he was 15, the time working as a carpenter in the heat of the sun, or the times he shared a simple meal with His family?  There were milestones and there were mundane days and moments that led up to them.  The mundane leads to the milestone.  I was led to Isaiah 41 and in that chapter verse 15 stood out to me. It says “I make of you a threshing sledge, you shall thresh the mount...

256. Pray. Fast. Obey.

In prayer this morning I was reminded of the last year and how far I’ve come. How following Jesus Christ, no matter what the outcome, can produce a life you’ve never imagined.  When you stop falling for fear based compromises and truly walk out in faith to what you’re called to do, you’ll experience things beyond your comprehension. You’ll find your true identity when you lose your life in Christ.  I was reminded how messy and treacherous it can appear when the Lord tears through the lives of those called and chosen to Him, to rend you away from the grip of the sin of this lukewarm world; and pulls you in closer than you’ve ever been before. Snatching you from the grave.  A love that pierces every cell of your physical body. A love that transcends time, spirit and matter. An incomprehensible consummation of your entirety.  The jealous love of Jesus Christ our savior, the Lord of our lives. The love made available to each and every one of us through His death and resu...